Monday, January 05, 2015

 In the last week of December I finished this little wallhanging. It was originally going to be a bed sized quilt when I started it many, many years ago. My middle son Robert was six months old, and he's nearly 31 now! Hard to believe that this has been hanging around for so long- it was well and truly time to do something about it.

I was trying to make it look like an antique quilt, but reproduction fabric had never been heard of, and it was hard  to find cotton fabric at all. There are a few poly blends in here, which is one of the reasons it was abandoned when better fabric became available.  When I decided not to add any more rows Keryn helped with sewing extra bits to square it off, and then it was relegated to the cupboard, where it matured quietly.


 I added the two borders and it's now about 35" by 45", so just a small finish, but it feels good to have this done. I've picked out backing fabric and I'll make the binding straight away, but I haven't decided yet whether to hand quilt it or not. It's too blanking hot to even think about quilting at the moment, so it can go back in the cupboard for a little bit longer....

4 comments:

Jan Mac January 05, 2015  

We must both have caught the finishing bug as I've finished a 20 year old quilt today. Your wall hanging looks lovely.

Karen January 05, 2015  

Wow! You did a good job of sewing all the diamonds. Did you sew them individually or was it strip pieced? I am thinking that if you started it that long ago, rotary cutters probably were not being used.

Sandy January 06, 2015  

It's gorgeous, and it does look old. Good job, Mereth. Hand quilting would truly glorify it, but may be a challenge - those diamonds look pretty small!

Sue SA January 06, 2015  

I think you deserve a round of applause for finishing this! It looks great and I am sure it will look even better quilted, eventually!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP