Tuesday, February 24, 2015

 I was cutting up some blue fabric the other day, and as I looked through the stash I realised that I have rather too much of this lighter blue material hanging around. Most of it is old, because I haven't bought this colour since, well, last century really. I just don't use it, for some reason.

I love my indigos and the patterned navy fabric with coloured prints,

 I like some of the pale blue stuff I have. (Don't ask me why those yellow pieces are in that drawer, I only just noticed them...)


 I love, love the reproduction mid blues.

 But the bright mid blue gets passed over time and again.

As I comb through the stash I've been trying to discover which groups of fabric I don't use and set them aside. If I know I'll never buy them again, I want to use them up and make that the end of the story. I suppose I could sell them on ebay or just give them away, but it's not as if I don't like the fabric...I just don't use it. And I no longer buy it, so once it's gone, it's gone.

I used a heap of old florals and yellow fabric in Bonnies Floribunda, and loved finally playing with them.

I collected very dark greens and yellowy creams from the stash drawers  to cut into 1 3/4" squares for four-patches - if I come across anything  of this colour, even scraps, it gets cut into that size and put in the tin.
It seems that once I have a project for these groups of fabric I don't mind their presence anymore- I know what I'm doing and they'll eventually be used and gone. I've decided to make these giant sq in sq blocks with the bright blues - they end up about 7" so they cover a lot of ground quickly. I doubt this will use all of them, but I'm hacking up swathes of fabric and the smaller bits are disappearing completely.

I don't know how big the top will end up, at the moment I'm just having fun getting this out of the stash and up on the design wall.

6 comments:

Chookyblue...... February 24, 2015  

bestill my heart all that gorgeous blue.........

Karen February 24, 2015  

I like blue but tend to use the darker ones and not so much of the light ones.

Katie Z. February 25, 2015  

What Chookyblue said!

Sandy February 25, 2015  

Funny I used to not like those light and mid blues, but now I am craving them. It'll be fun to see how your sq in sq quilt finishes up.

Sue SA February 25, 2015  

Great approach to using a colour up. I might try and replicate that, as I have loads of brown and brown purples that I don't love anymore.

QuiltinLibraryLady February 25, 2015  

Good job on deciding what to do with all those lighter blues. Sometimes those light colors are hard to use. I just dug out a box of scraps dating to my craft sale days in the 80s & 90s to cut up. There is so much light peach, seafoam green, country blue, and mauve that I just might have to give some to the Lutheran church ladies for their mission quilts. It's pretty and I still like it, but there is just TOO MUCH OF IT!!

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP