Saturday, March 21, 2015

After we finished  four customer quilts last week  I decided to throw one of my tops onto Millhouse. Along with my commitment to binding an old project every month, I also want to quilt more of my own works. We have cupboards full of beautiful tops, and it's so easy to put a customer quilt on the machine and neglect our own.

For something easy I chose Floribunda, one of Bonnies patterns. I wanted to do an edge to edge, and I knew that would suit this busy top. No sense putting custom work on a top unless it will show up, and these florals would hide any detail.

I chose one of Keryn's designs, Winter Rose, to keep the floral theme going.

Remember all those blocks I rejected for the front? They found a home on the back, along with lots of other floral fabrics, cut into 9 or 10" squares. And STILL there are more of these fabrics in my stash, sigh. Not enough for another quilt like this, but they're lurking in odd corners.

At the beginning I thought I might use other pastels for the background instead of just yellow, hence this pale green block. I didn't really like the effect, and I didn't have enough pallid fabric anyway. So the block ended up with the others on the back.

I forget how satisfying it is to hang up a newly finished quilt and look at all that glorious texture. There are so many memories bound up in this, of the places I bought the fabrics, the piecing, the setting together, making the back and now the quilting. I marvel at all that fabric out of my stash, about 13 metres I think, and the great feeling of knowing that I made something lovely out of all those bits and pieces. And now if I can only get around to binding it in a timely manner, it will be completely done.




6 comments:

Karen March 21, 2015  

I like the backing. So much more interesting to add in blocks than just using fabric panels.

julieQ March 21, 2015  

Just gorgeous!! I love the texture you quilted into your lovely quilt. I too have a few florals hanging around...hmmmm

patricia March 21, 2015  

From the picture it looks like you didn't use all yellow for the backgr - or is it pale yellows? I've wanted to do Bonnie's pattern but don't have that many yellows and wonder about mixing it up. You decided against the pale green you said.
Lovely job!

Lynn Dykstra March 22, 2015  

It turned out so beautiful. I love mine too and how wonderful to have a place for all those hard to use but fun to buy fabrics.

Sue SA March 22, 2015  

Great finish, love the all over pattern and good to see more of the stash used up in the back, including those orphan blocks.

Anonymous,  March 24, 2015  

Front and back, beautiful and wonderfully quilted.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP